COMMUNITY LIVING QUINTE WEST – 1959 – 2015
The organization was originally founded in 1957 by a group of concerned parents who were seeking support for their children with special needs, and was originally part of the Quinte Association for Retarded Children in Belleville. In 1959 a group of parents from the Trenton and Brighton area decided to set up their own agency called the Trenton-Brighton and District Association for Mentally Retarded Children. The group received their charter from the Ontario Association for Retarded Children (now known as Community Living Ontario) on November 14, 1959. The agency was incorporated on August 4, 1961.
The first program to be operated by the Association was the Stepping Stones Nursery School which was established in 1959. This program operated at the 52 Lafferty Road site until 1988 when it was closed and replaced with the new Stepping Stones Integrated Preschool Services at 25 Ontario Street in Trenton. In 1997 a decision was made to amalgamate the integrated nursery program with 4 other existing programs in the area to become a stand alone agency called Family Space.
Community Living Quinte West is committed to the provision of supports that will assist individuals with an intellectual disability to live, work, and play as integrated and valued members of their community.
Community Living Quinte West is a non profit organization whose vision is one of a community that encourages and supports each person with an intellectual disability to participate, play, learn, work and volunteer to the greatest extent possible.